Sun center Tina Charles has been named the WNBA Eastern Conference Player of the Month presented by Boost Mobile for games played during June.
This marks the first season that Boost Mobile – the leaguewide marquee partner of the WNBA – has presented the WNBA Eastern and Western Conference Players of the Month awards. Candace Parker of the Los Angeles Sparks received the award for the Western Conference.
In leading the Sun to a 7-3 record, Charles paced the conference in blocks (1.5 bpg), was second in rebounds (11.5 rpg), and fourth in scoring (17.9 ppg). Charles recorded a double-double in six of 10 contests, scoring at least 20 points five times. For the week of June 11-17, Charles was named the Eastern Conference Player of the Week presented by Boost Mobile.
Highlights of Charles’ month included:
- With eight rebounds vs. Indiana on June 19, became the fastest player in league history to reach 900 career boards, doing so in her 79th game to surpass the mark of 83 games set by Yolanda Griffith.
- Recorded 23 points, pulled down 22 rebounds, and hit a pair of free throws with 3.1 seconds left to give the Sun its first lead of the game in a in a 75-73 win at Atlanta on June 17. In the process, became the first player in WNBA history to log three 20-20 games in a career.
- Scored 30 points, the second-highest total of her career, in a 94-86 win over Washington June 3.
- Tallied 20 points and 12 rebounds in loss to the defending champion Minnesota Lynx June 1.
- Led Connecticut past Atlanta, 92-73, with a 22-point, 11-rebound effort June 10.